New Year’s Revolutions

1. New Post from Greywulf’s Lair : New Year’s Revolutions http://t.co/sDxyBEmV #RPGBA

2. New Year’s Revolutions from Greywulf’s Lair » RPG http://t.co/F8lo8N29

3. Steven W says:

A superheroes version of WH40K is one of the coolest ideas I have heard all year! Good luck and I hope you post updates on the idea.

4. Jennifer says:

I think to understand Pathfinder’s cult-like following, you have to understand the mindset of many of these players, like the ones that I play with. They’ve been playing D&D since the dark ages, and they still tell me stories of the “In the early days, you couldn’t be a female paladin!” etc. (I started playing when 3.5 came out). So, when 4th edition came out, it wasn’t long before they got bored. It is very simplistic and they feel as though the game really never changes as you gain levels, you just get abilities with slightly different effects and different names. It’s boring to them.

Pathfinder, on the other hand, is like 3.75. They took 3.5 and edited all of the things that didn’t make sense or were out of balance and made it a smoother, better 3.5.

The reason I’m saying this is to point out that I believe the cult-following that Pathfinder has isn’t because Pathfinder is great but because people that like it are the ones who don’t like 4th edition and see Pathfinder as taking the beest system to date (3.5) and making it better.

I am not flaming and I really don’t have a preference. I often use 4e when I’m running a game online because the simplification is a godsend when you are dealing with the complications of a digital gameboard anyway.

5. Neododge says:

Thor’s Hammer 40K looks like Heroclix to me. Care to elaborate how it would differ ?

My resolution for 2012 : GM. Since I’ve burnt out of it in 2010, I’ve tried to get back on the stage and finally managed to find the resolve and the players late this year (Strands of Fate helped a lot in this). Thus, in 2012, I will eventually GM a full campaign, that’s my #1 Gaming resolution this year.

Good question.

Heroclix is a skirmish game where each figure is an individual character, and combat is geared toward individual figure vs. figure battles. Warhammer 40k is more squad-level where teams of 1-10 (or more) figures act as a group. While there are also individual Heroes in W40K they’re the exception rather than the norm.

Putting that into superhero terms, I could run a small-scale battle with a hero leading a team of mutants against a load of thugs and a couple of soupervillains, or a large-scale Alien Invasion type scenario such as The Avengers leading groups of lesser heroes against squads of Kree.

Add in vehicle rules (Batmobile! Giant Toymaster robots! The Mole Machine!) and I think it will be rather jolly good.

That’s the plan, anyhow.

6. Crose87420 says:

RPG Resolutions; Play more D&D 3.5 (using a simplified system called Microlite20, well-paced games and a lot of material out there.), Basic Action Super Heroes 1E, Relics & Ruins, In a Wicked Age and hopefully, hopefully, some Dungeon World.

D&D 3.5, Pathfinder and D&D 4E, all really great games. I just couldn’t get the right pace to my games with these systems. (Do use Pathfinder’s adventures and adventure paths.)

Thor’s Hammer 40k is a pretty nifty name.

7. Sean says:

Resolutions:
    1) Pick one system & GM it (and only it) all year. This year I’ve been bouncing from system to system. So many cool mechanics, so little time. Like you, next year I plan to focus. One the other hand, I’ll play whatever my friends are willing to GM.
    2) Spend less time reading about other peoples games, & more time working on my own. Reading blogs is a great way to learn new ways of doing things. It’s also a great way to procrastinate.

8. Ashran says:

* Start my much talked about (in my group not online) Spelljammer campaign in d&d4.

* Continue planning for a Marvel Campaign using Mutants & Mastermind .The premise is pretty simple: The x-men and the Avengers are starting a joint venture for a school of gifted individuals, be them mutants, aliens, robots, or whatever in the hope to save from a catastrophic vision of the future where every superhumans are hunted down like wild dogs by an unkown force. The players are among the first batch of students in this new school. But will they be there to help save the day, or doom it by undermining the efforts right at the foundation ? (insert dramatic cue music here).

* Keep going with the ravenloft campain I’ve got underway using d&d4.

* Look more into Pathfinder, and ways to integrate the setting and/or the adventure paths into d&d4.

9. Tranik says:

Speaking on Pathfinder, a former DM that joined the military raves about it! I’m still stuck in 3.5. But he is designing a superheros game using the Pathfinder framework! If he gives it to me I’d be happy to pass it along! Cheers!

10. Xandyr78 says:

Hey, Greywulf…if you need extra players, I’d be more than happy to dive in! :-)