Building a render, step-by-step

1. Elton says:

Very, very good. By the way, my review of the PHB is up on RPG.net. And you know what? It still generates controversy after what . . . 2 years of publication? http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14882.phtml

2. Tourq says:

You’re taking me to the dark side…

I’m getting closer and closer to experimenting with DAZ.

The water seems just a bit too cold, still. Maybe I’ll cannonball it.

-Tourq

3. I went to the DAZ3D website, and noticed the free version has Advanced features disabled after 30 days. That is, unless you pay ~$150. Do you use the free version, or the Advanced?

I have DAZ Studio Advanced. It does add some very nice extra features over the Free version, but nothing I would call absolutely necessary to be able to turn out darned fine renders. About 95% of the renders I make could can be created using DAZ Studio, free edition, right out the box.

Unlike many apps which use the word “free” when they really mean “crippled”, DAZ Studio is the real deal. With the free version you can create renders up to 12,000 x 12,000 pixels in size (same as the Advanced version), there’s no watermarking and you can save files and import models without restriction.

When you install DAZ Studio free, it asks you if you want to activate the Advanced features to try them out for 30 days. That’s great if you’re considering buying Advanced at a later date and want to try it out. If you’re just getting started with the hobby though, you’ll have more than enough to play with in the free version :)

Hope that helps!

4. Rod McQueen says:

Glad to find your tut pages. I’ve found lashings of Poser tuts out there, but not nearly as many for DS. Many thanks and keep it up.

5. Sean says:

While I was checking out the various models you referenced, I came across a nice set of rapiers; free this week.

6. hue of bone says:

What is the maximum number of figures ie M4/V4 that you could use in a render?

On my little netbook, it gets painful to work with more than three M4 or V4 figures on a scene, especially if using morphs (such as Morphs++) or detailed textures on them. A more powerful computer can easily handle much more figures than that, of course.

For more crowded scenes though, it’s usually better to use M4/V4 for the key figures and lower resolution figures for the background. Figures such as Loretta Lorez or the Lorez Males are tailor-made for large scenes. Even on my netbook I can work with 20 to 30 of them in a scene without breaking sweat.