Rock Paper Scissors, the role-playing game

1. DarkTouch says:

Back in my day, we used to call this ‘Minds Eye Theatre’.. or just ‘The Vampire Run’.
    The best part was when you got to mid levels of Potence you could throw ‘The Bomb’.

2. DeadGod says:

I have to agree, I’m pretty leery of diceless games. They mostly just boil down to resource management, and that resource management usually isn’t complicated enough to produce an interesting player experience. (Obviously, a good GM with a good story can make any system fun, but we can’t all be super-GM all of the time!)

Suggestion: check out Dread. This diceless game has knocked my socks right off. Its mechanic is so simple, yet so spot-on for the genre it emulates (dramatic horror.)

3. Risus Monkey says:

Gotta agree with DeadGod on Dread. After playing it at the DC game Day I went out and bought Jenga. I’m still itching to find a way to bring the mechanic into my regular games (even if only for special sessions).

How could forget Dread? It’s high on my list of games I’d love to play again.

Thanks for the feedback and especially to jatori on Twitter who pointed out that he’s way ahead of me on this :D

• Aoi says:

Interesting system, and in my mind a fair amount tactical without getting overblown. My only question: in your example, by the end of round 4, Joe only has 1 Speed left – no more Aim, no more Cool, right? Wouldn’t Larry just play Aim, since he knows that Jow can only play speed? Might there need to be some sort of recovery mechanic or “switcheroo” mechanic or something?

Aoi, thanks for the feedback. I put that in intentionally so that there’s a reward for good tactical play – there’s a route to a “no lose” final show-piece attack.

Alternatively, if the GM wants to keep the tension all the way, don’t reveal the stats and remaining totals to the PCs. In the example I showed all the cards on the table. I wouldn’t necessarily do that in a real game :)

4. x-humed says:

You know, I have no problem with Diceless games. Marvel saga was rockin (once it got a little homework) and everway was a really interesting way to destroy rules lawyers

5. Tourq says:

The last diceless RPG I played was Cops and Robbers… no wait, it was Cowboys and Indians. I simply can’t imagine going diceless.

-Tourq