Flash: A thought for the day
Steve Jobs said Flash is bad, so it must be true. I’ll try to remember that when I’m looking at all those Flash-enabled websites on my little netbook, watching my battery not draining away at all.
The claim that Steve Jobs is doing all this out of the goodness of his heart and isn’t going to make a single cent out of pushing for an end to Flash is a naive one, at best. Apple’s Safari (which isn’t without faults of its own) also happens to be one of the few browsers out there with a 100% Acid 3 test result. It’s fully HTML 5 compliant, in as much as anything can be fully compliant in an unproven, un-stress-tested and not fully defined technology. In comparison, Internet Explorer hovers around the 20% mark, though they’re aiming to get in the mid- 50s sometime soon!
I just tested Firefox and scored a reasonable 92% – good, but it’s still a fail. You can test your own browser, right here.
Yes, Flash is clunky, but so is the web itself, and it works. I applaud Apple wanting to push HTML 5 to the fore but given that Internet Explorer’s HTML 5 capabilities are…. well, lacking it’s a foolish web developer who would explicitly code for the one platform and not the other. Steve Jobs’ letter is a lesson in smoke and mirrors designed to sow doubt among the developer community, nothing more. One day, Flash will die a death and be replaced with something better, but we’re a long way from that point just yet. Apple is trying to boost their own importance in the browser market on the back of their latest mobile toy. Don’t be fooled! Demand a proper browser for your touch tablet, or take your wallet elsewhere!
The real question is: would you create a site which works for over 95% (IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera) of the market share, but not on the other 5% (Safari), or vice versa?
Is that a question which really needs asking?