Easy Depth of Field in DAZ Studio 3

1. EltonJ says:

Depth of Field, that easy? :)
    .-= EltonJ´s last blog ..Tribes of the Wilderlands: The Telosians =-.

2. drow says:

au contraire, you win the no-prize!

3. Demonezade says:

Thanks so much for posting this– since I started reading your blog, I’ve learned about so many nifty features and how to use them I hardly know what to do!

(I’ll admit I wish I could find a copy of DS2 so I could try some of the older stuff, like RenderControl (which I want because my slow computer handles complex lighting poorly) and the jlgShaders, too, but I’m getting by.)

Anyway, thanks for shedding some light and sharing your very cool things.

4. greywulf says:

@Demonezade Thanks! More tutorials (starting with one detailing how to get the best out of UberEnvironment2 lighting) coming soon. If there’s anything else you’d like me to cover, just let me know.

I’ll try to hunt down a link to the latest DAZ Studio 2 build for you – I’m surprised DAZ3d dropped it off their website.

5. Demonezade says:

@Greywulf– actually, since you asked, having discovered the UberEnvironment lighting, I would love to know if there is a way to use the “tube” light effect for a smaller lightsource– like a lightsaber blade. I’ve tried a bit, but without much success, and I’m not sure which settings to fiddle in what direction to improve it.

I am also curious to see what you’d do with a fog box:

6. greywulf says:

@Demonezade the Uber Strip light sounds like it should be a shoe-in for all your light-saber needs doesn’t it? Unfortunately it isn’t though, for several reasons:

1) It’s hard edged, and there’s nothing you can so about that. So, no light sabrish soft fading glow around the edges
    2) It’s an UberLight, which means long(-ish) render times. That’s acceptable for all-over light (such as that with UberEnvironment), but for something that should just enhance the lighting of a scene (ie, the typical light-saber glow illuminating the immediate area and nothing else) that’s usually not worth the price. A full-on lightaber battle would run into hundreds of hours-worth of render time, easy. Ick.
    3) There are much easier ways to do it.

Tell you what. I’ll show you how in an upcoming tutorial.

And the FogBox is a great thing to use. I’ll show you that too, as you asked :D

1. July 26, 2010

[…] Take one Spiky Dragon and add one Briana’s Temple in the background. Add salt to taste, and apply Depth of Field. Now for the […]