Attack Pattern Delta

inspace

Back to the spaceships again! Pretty pleased with how this turned out.

Here’s a quick “how I made it” show-n-tell.

1. Grab Bazze’s excellent free Ramjet model. While you’re there gasp in awe at his renders. He’s, like, 10000 times better than I could ever be.

2. Import into DAZ Studio

3. Add lights (I just used my regular Lightdome Pro Draft Cloudy lights). Use a black background and save as a .png file. This makes the background transparent – handy for later.

4. Next, find a suitable space background, move the ship a few times and re-render, saving as a .jpg each time. Like this:

inspace1

inspace2

inspace3

5. Almost done! Load the three “with background” images into Photoshop and paste ’em all into the same document as layers. Use the crude but effective select, inverse selection, edit->clear to put them all on the screen at the same time, then add Motion Blur.

6. Load the .png into Photoshop, and drop that in on it’s ownlayer. Add a touch of Motion Blur to this layer too in the same direction. 2-4 pixels should do it. Flatten, save as .jpg.

7. Done!

For extra bonus points, use Erick Nguyen’s amazing Watercolour Action for Photoshop (available here, number 19 under Sketch Actions) for added awesomeness.

inspace_watercolour

Total time: 20 minutes.

1. drow says:

awesome! but it needs to be just a big bigger, say 1920 x 1200 ;)

Lol! This full resolution image is 1235×696, here’s the direct link. I’ll remember to make a bigger one next time :D

3. Zzarchov says:

I gotta say, that certainly is nice eye candy, and in 20 minutes too. Kudos!
    .-= Zzarchov´s last blog ..Alignment and Morality, A topic sure to go down smooth at every gaming group =-.

4. drow says:

“big bigger” ? oy, nice. but you know what i meant.
    you really do turn out some fantastic work.

5. by_the_sword says:

I like this, but I would still rather fly a Greywulf-class free trader.

6. Dyson Logos says:

Wow. These feel like they should be Zentraedi attack fighters for Robotech.
    .-= Dyson Logos´s last blog ..Make no mistake! Crabmen enjoy carnage! =-.

7. Dyson Logos says:

(PS: could I steal the non-watercoloured image, with credit of course, and stat them out as Zentraedi fighters for the Robotech RPG and maybe another game or two on my blog? I’ll give full credit to you.)
    .-= Dyson Logos´s last blog ..Make no mistake! Crabmen enjoy carnage! =-.

@Dyson Thanks! Go right ahead and grab the image – I’ve posted the direct link in an earlier comment.