d20 Modern RPG Week Day Two

1. Questing GM says:

Booyah! Score on every front! D20 Modern is awesome and almost precisely for all the reasons you mentioned. I’m actually glad that Wizards has allowed this one to fall off their radar because it’s almost at the perfect position where it should be.

I’ll just like to add one more. Learn Real World stuff. D20 Modern is the real gateway that will get players to learn about skills and stuff that are really usable in the real world today. Current affairs, technology, investigation techniques and most importantly, social skills. I learned a lot more about guns because of this (Weapons’ Locker was RPlayers guide to real ones).

Questing GMs last blog post..Word of Wizards – iPhone Wallpaper

2. Helmsman says:

Actually sounds not too bad… might be a good gateway game before inspiring them to try out my usual brand of evilness.

3. Oz says:

I’ve always felt that Modern d20 was very underrated and deserved a lot more support. It’s a versatile system that is a lot less limiting than the typical class-level framework. In addition to modern fantasy, I’ve also used it for Firefly and Star Wars campaigns with great success.

Ozs last blog post..Star Trek Mentos

4. benpop says:

I can see a lot of mileage to be gained by patching D20 Modern and Mutants & Masterminds (or, more abstractly, True20) together.

Between you and… me, I’m going to blow out the fruits of my newly-acquired gainful employment on game books. D20 Modern, M&M/True20, and D&D 4e combined. That is, if I can freaking find a group willing to game any of these… *sigh*

5. Elton says:

I like D20 Modern. I would love to get my hands on Urban Arcana. But I don’t have to, at any rate. :D

Eltons last blog post..Village for Rolemaster

6. Anonymous says:

Wanna run a high adventure campaign involving dungeons but with modern gear and combat that is actually fun? Use d20 Modern! Wait a minute…

7. Anonymous says:

Modern is ridiculously contrived in a lot of ways too. I think the OP here should search for some. With an open mind for once.

Every time I try to run an industrialized campaign, everyone says ‘use d20 modern’. And then I can’t run the campaign, because I don’t wanna use it! I don’t like it, plain and simple, is that so wrong?

It’s not underrated, it’s overrated.

Also, d20 past stinks. What were they thinking? You can easily run a past setting, but without the supernatural elements. It only takes intelligence to run a depth oriented campaign.

“I’ve said this before; d20 Modern chargen lets you say who your character is, as compared to D&D where you generate what he does.”

Wow, dude that’s the worst thing I’ve heard from anybody. I don’t even know where to start with that comment. In fact, I won’t go into anymore detail but to say that the reason d20 modern seems more fluffy and interesting in certain respects is because the players are willing to make it that way. D&D doesn’t construe anything. The players don’t think to open their minds. They aren’t willing.

Heck, if they were, then D&D would be identical to modern if not better.

Charismatic bluffer and charismatic rich wooer? Both exist in D&D.

And what the heck is ‘knowledge: pop culture’? What would that do for you in a life or death situation? There’s thousands of homebrew that will help you with running a similar D&D setting. All you need is to open your mind and look, or heck, create some yourself. And you can still use google maps. You can GOOGLE the homebrew.

And for those who are saying, “If you’re so adamant about people creating a modern setting in D&D, then why don’t you create one?”

Because,

A. I’m going to, I just haven’t gotten around to it. I’m also kinda new to GMing.

and

B. My main purpose here is to encourage people that D&D is capable of more than just what the books tell you. It’s all psychological. The reason modern seems more dynamic for it’s contrived setting is because it tells you it is. And then you start making it so. The googling is all you. You could do the same for D&D. It’s just that you choose not to. It’s a continuous psychological style that needs to stop.

Really, I’m just sick of people saying to me, ‘Use d20 modern’ when I’d like to have bad ass heros in a non-earth but modern setting using D&D (since that allows you to do more bad ass stuff, like kill gods).

Is that so terrible?

@Anonymous So you don’t like it then? That’s cool – the world would be a boring place if everyone liked all the same things.

There are plenty of other systems around which work well for modern-day settings, including Savage Worlds, GURPS and HERO. And as you say, there’s nothing to stop you from running straight D&D in the modern day – it doesn’t take much tweaking and would make a fun campaign, I’m sure.

Terrible? No, not at all. Each to their own :D

Thanks for the comment!

9. Anonymous says:

O ok cool. :P

10. j0lt says:

You hit the nail right on the head.

“d20 Modern chargen lets you say who your character is, as compared to D&D where you generate what he does.”

Contrary to what Anonymous blathered about, this is exactly what is appealing about d20 Modern’s character system over a limiting and unimaginative archetype-based class system as found in other games such as D&D. Furthermore, the talent tree system allowing further customizing of characters was a brilliant step in the right direction. With this system, I can build the character how I want so they fit MY concept, not the game designer’s!

11. j0lt says:

Regarding the supplements, I agree d20 Future is not up to par with the rest of the books, but from what I’ve heard, that’s due to executive meddling, not poor work on the designers’ parts. I’ve got most of the supplements, and use them quite often.

As Questing GM mentioned, Weapons Locker is full of great information about various firearms, even if most of them are statted very similarly.

d20 Past provides variant setting rules based on the ones from the core book, which is great for GMs.

d20 Apocalypse’s only flaw is that there isn’t more of the great info that they’ve put into the book.

Urban Arcana is, without doubt, the most important book after the core rules. Even if you don’t want to use the setting, there are so many great Advanced Classes and optional rules and other ideas to mine!

While it’s not the same product, I also picked up Sidewinder: Recoiled by Dog House Rules. It’s an Old West game book that uses the d20 Modern SRD as its base. It feels so much more right to use d20 Modern’s class system to build a real-world type character than, say, a D&D style character system.

@jolt Yeah. d20 Future should really have been 2 (or even 3) supplements. Trying to cram so much in just ended up short-changing everything, and that’s not good.

Agreed about Urban Arcana; it’s an essential book if you want to do anything even remotely supernatural/fantastic with d20 Modern, even if you ignore the “bringing D&D into the modern world” setting idea. There’s so much in UA, yet (unlike d20 Future) none of it feels rushed or half-baked. It (along with d20 Modern itself) deserves a place in the RPG Hall of Fame.