Like it’s 1981 all over again, part one

1. Wyatt says:

You mean you and your players don’t throw chairs and pull out glocks when the words “3d6 in order” are spoken? Around here those words are an invitation to act a foo’. I wouldn’t have it any other way though.

Mildly interested in seeing where this is going. How did you roll for powers?

follow @WyattSalazar on twitter

Wyatts last blog post..The Ancient Duel: Combating Spirits

@Wyatt Roll a d6 for at-will, per encounter and daily selection. If the dice roll was too high (eg, a rolled a 6 when there’s only 5 Powers to choose from) or it’s a duplicate we get to pick. Simple, really :D

follow @greywulf on twitter

3. Ameron says:

You’re not going to believe this, but the last time we tried this character creation method at my table (which was a few years ago for 3.5e) we had an alarming number of 16, 17 and 18s rolled. It created characters that were so powerful so quickly that we have to retire the characters after a few levels.

The one guy who didn’t roll above average was constantly complaining that he was being unfairly punished for having bad dice. His incessant whining was another contributing factor for retiring the characters. Perhaps if everyone had rolled more like your PCs we would have had more fun and played the characters longer.

I’m incredibly reluctant to try this experiment again in 4e. But if we do try it for 4e it may result in interesting characters for a one night Dungeon Delve. Hmmm.

Amerons last blog post..Skill Challenge: Defend the Camp

4. Very cool. The best thing about having the characters roll up like this is the emphasis it puts on creating a character’s story. When you point buy, you are essentially crafting a piece of machinery, that is most players use point-buy to sculpt an efficient character based on whatever specs they think are necessary. When you 3d6 it, you end up thinking more along the lines of “Why does this guy have a 7 Con but a 15 Str?”

The Last Rogues last blog post..Session 1-2: Wolverines & Dead Dogs

5. Wyatt says:

I don’t know Last, when I 3d6 it, I end up thinking more along the lines of “I should kill this DM, in a slow but artistically violent way worthy of Frank “WHORES” Miller.”

follow @WyattSalazar on twitter

Wyatts last blog post..Character Archetype Terms You Never Heard Of

6. drow says:

my group’s last experiment with ‘roll 3d6!’ quickly became ‘roll 4d6 and drop the lowest!’, soon followed by ‘and reroll if your total bonus is less than +2!’, later amended by ‘also reroll if your total bonus is greater than +10!’. all of this for a throw-away game before starting the actual 4e campaign, which was point-buy.

if i seriously suggested ‘roll 3d6!’ for a campaign, i’m pretty sure my group’s response would be ‘die in a fire!’

4e D&D is the first time I’ve rolled 3d6s for stats in any version of D&D (aside from Classic D&D itself) and actually ended up with a fun, viable character rather than one who is likely to die in the first round of combat. That’s not because of my die rolling skills either – I always seem to suck at rolling high when it comes to character generation.

In 4th Edition, the (brilliant) idea of pairing the stats up means that it doesn’t matter if your Wizard has STR 5 or his WIS is only 4. He’ll still (hopefully) get decent (or at least average) saves thanks to his CON & CHA meaning the stats become what they should be – triggers for great role-playing opportunities rather than crippling statistical flaws.

Sometimes it’s fun not to be the hero with an 18 in one stat and superior in everything. It’s fun to be inspired by random numbers.

follow @greywulf on twitter

8. Thasmodious says:

Sounds like a fun evening, looking forward to reading about the adventure getting underway.

9. I like it, but you knew that already.

Some of my players would hate it, I’m sure.

follow @kensanata on twitter

Alex Schröders last blog post..German Labyrinth Lord

10. yoyorobbo says:

Wow! This sounds like a very cool mix.

I love Moldvay/Cook/Marsh B/X D&D and I’m totally digging 4e now too, so what you are doing looks like a real fun merger that I’d love to try sometime.

Not sure on the “roll for powers”. I think I’d rather have a little more control over what the player may have “studied”, but I see why you’re doing it…roll, roll, roll.

I’ found this thread from your more recent entries on it, but quickly jumped to the beginning thread to get the whole story. Gonna read the rest of it right after I hit submit here.

Great idea! Especially if you’re trying to get a little “back in ’81” vibe with a modern version. Some will hate it, and scorn it…but I really dig it, bro! Thanx for the idea.

yoyorobbos last blog post..sweet D&D loot found during weekend getaway

11. drow says:

i’ve pitched the idea of 3d6 for my next campaign to three of my players so far. one is okay with it, though he wouldn’t try it in his own campaign. the other two were hesitant, at least. one of them has a history of rolling poorly, so that’s expected. still, i think i could talk them into it, with the promise that if it wasn’t working out i’d axe-murder all the PCs and let them start over.

12. kevin says:

In mine and my friends’ campaigns, we’ve taken to an interesting system. Supposedly our characters are to be heroic, a cut above, etc. Therefore, we eschew dice rolling for character generation in favor of giving each player an 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, & 13, putting them wherever they want.

Perhaps it’s a bit overpowering, but sometimes you just want to go out and have fun and not worry about the dice quite so much!

13. dar says:

So fraking wonderful!

1. May 21, 2010

[…] said before that 4e D&D is probably the first edition of D&D where it’s possible to roll stats using […]