Take the Wizards' survey and tell them what you think!

Like 4e D&D? Hate it? Love the game but dislike the way it’s made? Or do you have nothing but praise for the Coastal Wizards.

Whatever you think, here’s your chance to tell them. Again. Because obviously all those forum thread and blog posts don’t count for nuthin and they want some statistical data to justify whatever it is that statistical data justifies.

Wizards have a survey asking folks what they think of D&D. Ok, it’s mainly about D&D Insider and in typical Survey style it says more about what they think is important than anything else.

I encourage y’all to take it nonetheless.

Use the text boxes in the sections asking you what need to be done to encourage you to subscribe to D&D Insider (do I sense poor sales?) to say what you really think. Phrases like “bring back the OGL to encourage third party innovation” and “encourage, not legislate against, fan-based software support” and “release your back catalog as print-on-demand” might possibly make a difference. You never know.

Not that I’m trying to put words in your mouth – the point is this is your chance to have your say. Whatever your opinion, head over to the survey and voice it!

Thank you.

1. Beth says:

Thanks for telling me about the survey! Just took it. My trust level for digital content by WotC is minimal. Ever tried to play MTG online? Lame!

2. Tom says:

They need to get a clue. Nobody wants DDi because it barely exists, most of the promised features are vaporware.

“encourage, not legislate against, fan-based software support”

LOL, thats kind of a cheap shot :) They shut one site that was charging money. There’s lots of free stuff on the web they could shut down, but are leaving alone – power cards, character generators, etc. Hopefully they aren’t stupid enough to try and control everything, we can only hope!

@Tom Yeh, it was a cheap shot. Guilty as charged. But what if Asmor accepted donations (oh, wait……. he does), or folks used Google Adsense on their blogs where they post up an encounter featuring stats from the Monster Manual. Or post up a character sheet of their own design. Or talk about both Third & Fourth Edition D&D, link to 3rd party tools and accept donations. That’s the fiery pits of GSL hell for those suckers!

Nah. I think they should embrace and extend, not legislate and curtail. 3e succeeded because of it’s open nature, and 4e D&D (much as I love the game itself) is a huge step backward in that regard.

4. Thasmodious says:

“Nobody wants DDI?” Smoke crack much? DDI is a huge value at $5 a month with a great deal of utility. I haven’t ran a session without utilizing it extensively since I subscribed. Not to mention the value of the Character Builder and the e-magazines.

As for your cheapshot Greywulf, I gotta agree with Tom. Links to Asmors stuff is everywhere, power card generators and sets are everywhere, as are FREE character sheets and character generators. One site got sent a letter. While there are obvious areas to speculate about what happened with Ema’s, there could be more to it that we don’t know. I’ll start worrying if we see another letter or two go out.

@Thasmodious s’good, glad you like it. Hope you filled in the survey and told them so too. Me, I’m on the fence about the whole DDI thing, but I’ll save going into details why for a blogpost another time.

I’m hopeful that Wizards’ legal action ends with just the one site, though experience shows that once these things happen, it’s all to easy for it to snowball out of control. My point that what they need to do is embrace the fan-base and praise third party support not fight against it, and not legislate against those sites that just happen to be in competition with DDI. That’s just anti-competitive bullying tactics.

6. Oz says:

Thanks for the info on the survey, I’ll be sure to spread it to my half dozen readers.:)

As for DDI, I’ve held off due to Wizards’ sluggishness, their customer support issues, and the feeling that if I sink a bunch of money into their books I shouldn’t have to sink a bunch more money into support. I put in the survey that when you buy a book you should get 60 days of DDI included.

Ozs last blog post..Failtrooper

7. anarkeith says:

GW,

Thanks for posting the link. I’m not a DDI subscriber, having decided that I’d wait until they got all the promised components up and running before checking it out. It’s close (I have no interest in the Gaming Table part), but I’m still not convinced about the real utility of it all.

I also would love to see a connection between purchasing the books and the DDI subscription (say 1 month per $10 of book value?).

It seems like WotC is going to be more on their own with 4e (having determined there was too much money going to other companies with 3e?). That said, I think they need to bring something extra to the table, and DDI could be that thing if they play it right.

I’d love to see DDI include the core books (with errata updates built-in) and the tools necessary for generating PCs like you do in many video games (that includes some kind of facial generation software.) Maybe it isn’t realistic to expect that, but that’s what would put it into the “must-have” category for me personally.

8. Tom says:

That would be great! Unfortunately I know what their answer would be : we have no feasible way of enforcing it. There was a similar discussion on their forums about receiving a cheap/free PDF to go along with the purchase of hardcover books. Right now, the PDFs actually [b]more[/b] then the actual books! (going by Amazon prices)

9. BlU_sKrEEm says:

I signed up for a 3 month membership when it came out, and to be honest i have barely used it. the Compendium is nice, but 80% of the magazines are not useful to me, and the Character builder is still far to buggy for my liking. When the subscription ran up I found out a week later that I had been charged for another three months, and after an hour on the phone with customer service I only managed to cancel the auto renew (so I still have it for another month I think.)

I signed up for DDI because I like 4th ed and there just wasn’t that much material when the subscription started. I do like the compendium, but it just doesn’t justify the slow releases, lack of content, and the hassle of the product (No matter how many times I try I end up having to get a new password every time I sign in, and customer service has been no help at resolving this issue.)

It’s a noble idea, but I don’t think I will be renewing (unless of course Wizards decides to renew me again.) I just don’t trust Wizards to deliver after the last year.

10. Chgowiz says:

Meh. Pure meh. DDI has no interest for me because it pretends that there was no D&D before 4. It makes no sense and leaves us nothing if we wanted to pay for older version support. I have no interest in throwing dollars to WotC for something that I won’t use – and my responses told them that.

Chgowizs last blog post..We Game – Dark Ages

11. satyre says:

Thanks for the link to the survey.

I’m also of the view that legislating against your audience is not a helpful approach when building support for your product. From the look of things DDI hasn’t delivered for enough people and WotC need new clues to be purchased.

OGL encouraged people to innovate on a core framework but GSL is still incomplete. How do they expect people running fan sites to know how to avoid violating the rules when the GSL isn’t even finished yet?

I fell for the Core Rules CDs and for e-Tools. I didn’t think DDI was an effective pitch given previous efforts and I’ve not seen any evidence against that. Preview material from future hardbacks isn’t going to cut it for me.

How they do it? That’s going to appear in the survey…

satyres last blog post..in the heart of darkness